The USLF Board of Directors met February 22nd for the regular monthly meeting via teleconference/meeting software at 6:02 p.m. Pacific Time.
- The USLF improves its financial position. Treasurer Margaret Tremain reported that our Profit and Loss statement shows us approximately $5,000 ahead of this same time last year, thanks to the Board of Directors controlling expenses well. Margaret also reported that the Finance committee will meet to determine if new categories are needed for the budget and to develop a proposed budget for 2017.
- Registrar Rennie Squier reported a busy month with seven transfers and eight registrations. She also reported that the Lipizzan Census will report its findings as of the end of 2016 in the Spring News. The Census will continue to collect data on Lipizzans for whom we have incomplete data and will report again next year.
- An updated Membership Directory is at the printers and be mailed to current members in the next couple of weeks. Information includes members as of February 19th, 2017
- Mark your calendars for the 2017 North American Lipizzan Symposium! The Board accepted the proposal of the Pacific Northwest Lipizzan Club to host our 2017 Symposium in Olympia, Washington, Friday, October 27th through Sunday, October 29th. Our Symposium includes the annual USLF member meeting, including breakouts for committees, and will also have equestrian demos and presentations at an equestrian facility in Olympia, Washington, close to Seattle and the Seattle/Tacoma airport. Our usual gala dinner and auction are also planned.
- The Breeders Committee reports that the layout for our updated Studbook is complete and volunteers are proofing the entries.
- The Registration Committee plans to compile a 2017 Stallion Brochure, listing Lipizzan stallions standing at stud with their contact information. The Brochure will assist mare owners to know what stallions are available in their area and will also be promotional materials for equestrian events such as horse expos. The brochure should be available early this spring!
- The Membercast Committee plans to produce a series of short videos to introduce the Lipizzan breed and the USLF organization, including an edition introducing the Board of Directors.
- Two regional Lipizzan clubs will be exhibiting their horses and promoting the Lipizzan breed at horse expos on both the east and west coast in March. The Pacific Northwest Lipizzan Club will be participating in the Northwest Horse Fair & Expo in Albany, Oregon, March 24th – 26th and the Mid Atlantic Lipizzan Association will exhibit Lipizzans in demos and a quadrille at the Virginia Horse Festival, Richmond, Virginia, that same weekend. If you’re in either area, come out and support our members and cheer on our horses!
- 2017 Lipizzan Calendar Committee is putting our few remaining copies of our beautiful calendar on sale! Check out our website for price reductions to secure yours before they’re gone.
- The Awards committee reports that awards and ribbons will ship soon to our Laurels, Star, USDF, Ingun Littorin Driving award and Ralph Newhouse award winners. . Congratulations to all our winners and thanks to all our competitors who show off their Lipizzans to the public!
- The Youth Scholarship Committee will be revising its application form to clarify the criteria used for selecting awardees. Expect the revised form to reappear on our website shortly.
- Have an article on your Lipizzan for the Spring News? Deadline for submission will be mid-March.
- The next regularly scheduled Board of Directors meeting will be March 15th, 2017.
Muffin Smith, Secretary