The USLF Board of Directors met April 20th for its regular monthly meeting via teleconference/ meeting software at 6 p.m. Pacific Time.
- The USLF is financially sound and continues to maintain its asset levels at 2015 levels. Treasurer Don Holthofer reported that membership renewals have boosted income by another $3,400 and registrations and transfers continue to arrive, prompted by the Lipizzan Census. The Board finalized the 2016 budget and will next review our financial progress at mid-year.
- Our 2016 annual member meeting plans are coming together! Meeting attendees will be able to attend the evaluations and the breed seminar offered by Lipizzan International Federation Senior Judge Dr. Yvonne Peeters. Currently breed evaluations will be held September 20th and 21st, followed by the annual member meeting on the 22nd. We’ll let you know the schedule as soon as it is firmed up and we can announce hotel arrangements as well as evaluation details. Our Membercast Committee plans to make the business meeting as well as the breed evaluation seminar available as webinars! Not only will members be able to sit in on the annual meeting but view the Lipizzan breed seminar presented by our evaluator Dr. Yvonne Peeters.
- The Membercast Committee presented its first of a series of informative webinars Monday, March 21st! Viewers were introduced to the webinar software, followed by results of the Lipizzan Census to date. Viewers then participated in a question and answer session. Coming in June, the next membercast will present the results of the North American Mare Line Study. Details on viewing the membercasts will be available in advance and anyone who misses the initial viewing will be able to view it later at their convenience using the link provided by the committee. More membercasts are planned so please join in for Lipizzan information and current topics.
- The Board is preparing to develop a program to award stipends and/or scholarships for clinics and educational programs for young riders. The Board believes our future Lipizzan breed supporters are today’s young riders and enthusiasts and intends to foster this spirit by enabling those interested to further their knowledge. Details will be forth coming as soon as we can assemble procedures for selecting individuals wishing for some financial assistance.
- The 2016 Lipizzan Census committee has heard from 235 owners reporting on 607 horses! The committee has also expanded their survey distribution to include all the Lipizzan people we know of and encourages anyone who knows of a Lipizzan to let the Lipizzan Census committee know. The committee also plans a Facebook post that will take you to a census form online. We’re absolutely not trying to solicit new members or new registrations. We’re simply trying to count and identify as many Lipizzans as possible in North America. Our mission to preserve and protect the Lipizzan is next to impossible if we can’t even count them. Did you know that the most common question our office hears is how many Lipizzans are in the U.S.? Although we have a good idea, we know we’re missing horses that could make our knowledge more complete and our mission more attainable. We appreciate any updates and information that will help us develop as complete a picture as possible of our North American Lipizzan population and we thank you all most sincerely for helping us conserve this rare and historic breed of horse!
- Our Registrar is staying very busy and has processed two new Lipizzan registrations and five transfers. More transfers are in process. We are also excited to have received several new foals’ registrations! Thanks to those Lipizzan owners who have come forward to register or complete the recording of the transfer of their Lipizzan and welcome to the Lipizzan Community
- The Calendar committee reports that our 2017 Lipizzan Calendar is filling up quickly! If you’d like to be included, don’t wait! See our website for details and examples and submit your photos by mid-May. The resulting calendar will be available in September, printed on heavy paper stock and looking elegant with all our handsome horses. Think Christmas present for all your horsey friends!
- The Loving Our Lipizzans committee has opened up its new journaling facility for registered members to log their training goals and progress. Sign up for this activity on our website and then share your stories and success with your Lipizzan community members! This facility is not visible to the casual visitor to our website, only to those who have registered to participate. The upcoming newsletter will have more details on how you can participate.
- The next regularly scheduled Board of Directors meeting will be May 18th. The USLF Board meets the third Wednesday of every month.
Muffin Smith, Secretary