The USLF Board of Directors met September 17th for its regular monthly meeting via teleconference.
- The USLF continues to maintain financial stability; income this year continues to be ahead of budget due to increased memberships (and thanks to all who joined us) and decreased advertising expenses.
- The 2014 USLF Evaluation Tour has successfully concluded and has received many positive comments from owners whose horses were evaluated and from auditors who attended the presentations by our evaluator, Dr. Yvonne Peeters, on the classical Lipizzan and its history. In addition to Tempel Farms, thirty-one horses were evaluated, an excellent turnout. Once the results are posted, the updated ALBA studbook will be available for sale on CD and in print. Many thanks go to June Boardman, White Horse Vale, for her excellent organizational skills that made this tour run so smoothly.
- Elections for USLF Board of Director seats end this coming Tuesday, September 23rd. This year, the ballots are electronic, making voting simpler and faster than in previous years. If you haven’t voted yet, please take a minute to view the candidate statements and then make your choices, you should have received the link in an email from the USLF Office. Our democratic process sets us apart and ahead of other organizations and the Board thanks you for voting!
- The 2014 North American Lipizzan Symposium Friday, October 3rd through Sunday, October 5th at beautiful Tempel Farms in Wadsworth, Illinois, will be busy. The 2 ½ day agenda includes Dr. Hilary Clayton’s biomechanics sessions, the Tempel Lipizzans’ performance, and a preview of information to be presented by Dr. Jeff Kelly and Lisa Simmons at the upcoming Lipizzan International Federation’s annual General Assembly in Prague, Czechoslovakia, the following week. The Awards committee will also be rolling out an extensive awards program for 2015 for our Lipizzan competitors in many disciplines in addition to dressage. And the Loving our Lipizzans committee will be awarding prizes earned during their 2014 Games and previewing their 2015 Games. USLF merchandise and DVD’s of the upcoming Lipizzan program to be seen on Horse Flicks TV will also be available, and the auction has a whopping fifty-one items donated. Don’t forget to reserve your hotel room; the Hampton Inn at Gurney has a special “Lipizzan” rate that includes breakfast.
- The Fall issue of the Quarterly Journal has been printed and hopefully will arrive in your mailbox by Symposium.
- The USLF is very pleased to be participating in the USDF’s new addition to their Year-End All Breed awards program and will award four high score Lipizzan awards, two for adult amateur riders and two for open riders at the U.S. Dressage Finals competition November 6th through 9th at the Kentucky Horse Park, Lexington, Kentucky. Please see the USDF’s website for details.
- Our Registrar continues to be busy with a steady stream of registrations and transfers. Since the last meeting, four transfers and four new registrations have been completed including one 2014 foal, with a number of applications waiting for completion of paperwork and DNA testing.
- The USLF sincerely thanks the Lipizzan International Federation (LIF) for posting our Board meeting summaries, Evaluation Tour schedule, and Symposium information on their website and for their support! Please visit the LIF’s website at http://www.lipizzan-online.com. The Registration Committee continues its collegial conversations with Dr. Thomas Druml, chair of the LIF’s Breeding Commission, whose in-depth knowledge of historical pedigree data is a valuable resource.
- Our regional clubs are active! The Pacific Northwest Lipizzan Club was well represented and enthusiastic at the evaluations held in the Northwest. The Mid Atlantic Lipizzan Association (MALA) lectured on the History of the Lipizzan at the second annual Baroque Equestrian Games, Lexington, Virginia, and performed a pas du deux demonstration for their Gala evening performance. With the USLF, MALA will sponsor a Lipizzan breed class at the Dressage at Devon in September; please see their website (www.malalipizzan.net) for information.
- The Board discussed locations for our 2015 Symposium and is asking our membership for their ideas. The Board is also looking for volunteers or a regional group to help us plan our next Symposium. Suggestions for locations and plans are welcome; the Board is always interested to hear what activities and events would interest you. Check out the discussion on our Facebook page!
- The next regularly scheduled Board of Directors meeting will be October 15th. The USLF Board meets every third Wednesday of the month.
Muffin Smith, Secretary